This is a difficult but necessary task if you are going to be in America for a long time.
（1）Hunting for an Apartment 找房
A：Come on in, let me show you around. Here’s the living room. There are two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
B：Great! The view from this window is wonderful.
A：This is the kitchen.
B：It looks new.
A：Yes, we renovated just last year and replaced all the appliances.
B：Just look at all the closet space in the master bedroom!
A：Well, I’m sure you can fill these closets in no time!
B：Oh come on, give me a break. I don’t have that much stuff.
A：And here’s a bathroom.
B：What did you say the rent was?
A；Fifteen hundred dollars a month.
B：Does that include utilities?
A：It includes heat, gas, and hot water. Electricity and telephone are extra.
B：When will the apartment be available?
A：On the first of the month.
B：We like it a lot, but we’ll have to think about it. Can we call you tomorrow?
A：Sure. But don’t wait too long. I have other people who are interested in renting this place.
（2）Renting an Apartment 租房
A：Hello, Mr. Jackson, this is Jim Johnson. I’m calling about the apartment we looked at yesterday. We’d like to take it, if it’s still available.
A：So, what’s the next step?
B：I’ll draw up a lease and send it to you. What I’ll need from you is one month’s rent as a security deposit, and the first month’s rent in advance.
A：I’ll get the deposit back, won’t I?
B：Of course, as long as the place is not damaged beyond the usual wear and tear when you move out.
A：Great! Can I send you a check?
B：Sure, a check will be fine. Just send it along with the lease after you’ve signed it.
* You should read the lease carefully before you sign it.
* Could I have the lease translated before I sign it?
* I want to have a lawyer look over this lease.
* I have a really nice landlord.
* I’ve been trying to get a hold of my landlord for a week.
storage space 储藏室，储藏东西的地方
* I’m looking for an apartment with a lot of storage space.
* Is there storage space in the building where I can keep my bike?
laundry room 洗衣店
* Does this building have a laundry room?
* I forgot my wallet in the laundry room. I have to go back and get it.
wear and tear 磨损
* Don’t worry about it. A little wear and tear is to be expected.
* This is a sturdy model. It can take a lot of wear and tear.